Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ode to a Car Seat....


So I'm such a sentimental freak. I get so attached to things when there really isn't need to be. I feel sorry...yep, SORRY for Christmas trees that have been cut down and don't get picked and then all the trees that are picked are just tossed out like garbage once Christmas is over. It's hard to throw things away like a doodle from Charlotte even though she has 100 pages of the exact same (well, close to it) doodles. I think (not literally) that objects have feelings and I need to hold on to them. When I was labout 8 years old, I got a pair of hand-me down jeans. They had the zipper at the bottom of the leg. You know what I'm talking about...those cool zip jeans. Well, of course I wore them all the time and got holes in the knees. So instead of throwing them out, I decided to make them into jean shorts! But that's not the crazy part. I kept the part that was cut off from the rest of the jean. Isn't that just dumb? I found them in my keepsake box a few years ago. Of course I put them straight in the trash....but it took a bit of courage. WEIRD, I know. I think I have that hoarding syndrome...but a small form of it. Anywho. So Jack's carseat started to break at the top of the handle. So we decided to call Evenflo about it. They are going to replace it (actually it just came today!). I was so excited. We needed a safe car seat when hauling him around but couldn't afford a new one. But the sad thing is...they don't have the same fabric/style anymore. I was so bummed. They sent out the closest looking thing...which isn't close at all!!! But I'm sad. I was going to just keep the same cover and put it on the new one but the new one has a new feature...you can put a seatbelt through the top if you don't have a base (like for a second car, etc.) so now if I put the old cover on...it would cover up that area. And part of the deal for the replacement is that you return everything from the old car seat to Evenflo. Sigh. I'm excited for the safer car seat but sad to get rid of the old one. I actually got teary -eyed when Wade packed it up in the box. I'm teary-eyed now. Isn't that silly? It's just a car-seat...but it's not any old car-seat. It's the seat that Charlotte and Jack were taken home in from the hospital, the seat that came to New Zealand with us. A seat with memories. Oh well, time to make new memories. Goodbye, car seat. Farewell, you were loved!

7 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

You're the cutest, that's so funny. But I can understand how you would be sad, I always feel that way about throwing some of my boys clothes away that are trashed, it just means they were loved! Hope the new car seat works out for you I am sure you will grow to just love it too!

Jen said...

Not dumb at all! I totally can get where you're coming from. We got a new seat for Brennon that was safer, but I refuse to let go of Kya's. I have TONS of stuff like that. It's just too sentimental. I'm glad you got a new seat, but sorry you had to let the other one go.

Kendra said...

I am the same way with christmas trees! They grew their whole life to be a Christmas tree and then they get tossed or made into bark dust! Sigh....I wish I could save them all. But, great they just replace the car seat, bad that it is different. I have a suggestion for the doodles...take a picture of all of them so you will have them on your computer or on a disc, and then you can put your favorite ones on a digital frame! ;) I thought of that one myself, and then I saw it on a commercial...but it is a great idea!

Melodie said...

I have the same attachment to some of Kaitlyn's clothes. I have a hard time getting rid of them. I find myself saying, "I should get rid of this, but she looked so cute in it."

The Hague's said...

I feel the same way with anything that is Reagans! That is why I have like 3 containers full of her clothes! I also keep everything for way longer then I need to finally after not using for years I can talk myself into! Im trying to break the habit but its not working so well!

Rebecca said...

The Christmas tree thingy bothers me -- cuz the trees weren't able to live up to their potential. But, zipper jeans! I'm totally laughing which is good cuz I was crying earlier from not feeling well. So, thanks for the laugh!

Grannie said...

No comments from your mother who KNOWS all the things you kept! I remember when you were sad when the old beater Buick was hauled away by a charity. It had MOSS growing on it, and was the ugliest thing on wheels, and you were so sad when it went away!!!

Becky, I hope you feel better!!