Thursday, January 29, 2009

Incredible.





So Charlotte has had the number and name signs on her door since her PIP advisor, Jennifer, came in October for her last visit. We just kept it up high on the door but never really did anything with Charlotte after the first couple of days. But we have shown her and spelled out her name in other ways and have counted numbers for her. There's a pillow on our couch that has 1-9 on it. And of course she knows about her name on the wall above her bed. Well, she noticed the signs on her door yesterday. Or I guess wanted them. So I took them down and we went and sat on the kitchen floor. She of course LOVES to take stickers off and on things so this was no different. She took all the letters and numbers and put them into one big pile. And then she tried to put them back on but the sticky stuff was gone. She first started with 9. I thought that was weird because she could have started with any other number. I got some tape to help keep it on but that wasn't working so I got some glue instead. She glued from 9 to 1 in the correct order. I was simply speechless. I couldn't believe it. She had to readjust the numbers because she put them too close together and there was a lot of space by the number 1 so she shifted the numbers to be closer to 1. Even though now there's a ton of space by 9. he he She knew what direction they went too. And then I was wondering what she'd do with the letters. She spelled out her name. She almost got the L but put glue on the wrong side but at first she had set it down in the right direction but there wasn't glue so she flipped it around. No joke. I didn't help her...well, I made sure I kept giving her enough glue and all I did was spread out the letter and numbers in the pile so it was easier for her to notice them. I tried to make sure they weren't even close in order to each other too. And Wade came home just in time for her to finish spelling her name. We are just so proud of her. We had some discouraging news last week but this just makes us even more determined in knowing that she will accomplish so much in her life. Speech included. Oh, I forgot to mention that before she peeled off all the stickers, I went through and said each letter and number to her. She of course said them back as best as she could. But when placing them on the signs she said "T" twice for each T she was holding and "Two" for the number 2. Yeah!

13 comments:

The Warwicks said...

That really is amazing! What a bright little girl. So proud of you Charlotte!

Crystal said...

holyl crap! that is so cool!! must have been exciting to watch. Can't wait to see her in July, she was still a baby it seemed when you guys left.

Grannie said...

Wow! Amazing... I'm so proud of her and so happy that she did this!

Eric and Jenny said...

Wow, that really is amazing. It's great that she was able to do that at a time you needed some encouragement, not a coincedence I don't think. She will go far in life, and has had to work so much harder for it, what a special girl she is. And you are one amazing mother!

Jen said...

That's SO SO SO SO SMART! I'm seriously SO PROUD of her! WOW! Kya can't do that or even come close. I guess I have some teaching to do!!!

Wendi said...

I love Jennifer the PIP girl if it is the lady I'm thinking of. She is Super duper excited about everything. Does that sound like the Jennifer you know? I am excited for charlotte and you. I still wish we were in YW together.

Jay and Emily said...

I'm so impressed! YAY Charlotte!

Melodie said...

What a smart cookie!

The Chandler Family said...

She IS incredible!

Rachel said...

yep, we knew she was a smartie-pants. :) i love her picture..reminds me of someone??? maybe her mom? hehhehe I hope to visit really soon!

Crystal said...

p.s she looks cute in glasses

Dionne said...

Yay, for all of you! Seeing progress of any kind is what makes life worth living, right?!

David and Amy said...

That's AWESOME! I love the picture of Charlotte with her adorable smirk and her eyes closed. She's so cute and so smart!