Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Disappointment, despair to encouragement.

Yesterday, June 29th, Charlotte's implant was switched on. Had an emotional, wonderful appt that lasted 4 hours. It seemed the implant was working and Charlotte could "hear" again. After we got home, we kept upping the programs (will go into detail later in a few days/weeks). After awhile, it seemed she wasn't responding to anything. We kept trying with two different processesors to try and get her to turn to sounds we were making. And felt utter despair. Our worst fear had come true. Her nerve is small/underdeveloped and we were told it would fatigue easily and couldn't maintain the stimulation the implant gave. Which meant she wouldn't be able to gain speech and be completely deaf. We had big cries. All day. So emotional. We were wondering how could this be. Everything was so RIGHT. We were trying to do the Lord's will and felt guidance in our decision and wondered how could this go wrong?? When I wasn't emotional and calm, I kept telling myself. Heavenly Father won't provide an opportunity just for it to fail. I've struggled with my faith regarding Charlotte because sometimes what I expect/expected didn't happen. But I told Heavenly Father that I am trying with all my might to trust him and that I know this is his will to get the implant. But I am still human and felt so disappointed that Charlotte couldn't hear again. We saw the audiologist later that day again because we were so worried and he seemed a bit discouraged and thought it too was because of the nerve fatiguing. Which made us worse. Haven't seen Wade cry like this since we were first finding out Charlotte's difficulties in the NICU. But late last night, after Jack went to bed, we kept Charlotte up. We thought, maybe her nerve has rested enough to be able to deal with the implant. Well, we turned on the first processor. And Wade banged on the wall and she was trying to locate the sound. INCREDIBLE. For like 45 min. we kept changing programs (to increase her tolerance to the implant) and kept trying to make different, louder sounds and she kept listening and listening. LOVING it. SMILING. We put in the 2nd processor. NOTHING. But we realized. There's something wrong with the 2nd processor. Well, it was because WE were changing the control processor not the SOUND processor. And we only gave her like 20 sec. to respond to the processor. So we assumed it didn't work (in theory the controller doesn't do much but to change programs/volume). ANYWHO. We were so encouraged by this. She was reacting to the sound.
Today, we had the 2nd phase of the implant session, etc. That got us talking before everything was happening and realized it wasn't that she wasn't hearing it was because she's NOT RECOGNIZING that it's sound. A lot of times, patients assume it's a sensation and don't react to it. INCREDIBLE. So now, she's got her implant tweaked a bit more to make her try and recognize things. She's starting to hear environmental sounds. She even has responded to my "ba-ba-ba" sounds I try and get her to say and she said them back.
That's where we are. We feel so relieved...a bit unsure of things still...but encouraged and hopeful and the feeling of despair and disappointment has lessened. A LOT.
So thank you for your prayers and encouragement and support. I never felt more despair than I did in the NICU with Charlotte and it just felt like it was that time all over again. Trying times right now but I am trying so hard to keep the faith and know this is the right thing to do!! THANK YOU! Okay, I'm going to go cry. So better go! : )
Actually, we are off to New Zealand in less than 2 hours. I'll try and update or keep up with the blog but it might take me awhile. WE LOVE YOU!

13 comments:

Devin & Nikki Choules said...

I am so glad that it is working!!! Oh my gosh. What an awful thing to go through! I hope it continues to work!

me said...

How wonderful! Have a great trip. Things can only get better!

Jen said...

Jess and Wade! I'm crying my eyes out right now. You guys amaze me. You are incredible parents and Charlotte is blessed beyond measure to have you! We love you guys so much and I'm so happy that words can't even express. I am just so grateful to see any bit of encouragement. I am so full of happiness and emotion! Continue to be strong and full of faith. You continue to be such a tremendous example and I thank you for that!

Happy packing and have a safe and wonderful time. You deserve this fabulous vacation so much! I know you will have a absolutely wonderful time being in New Zealand again. Tell New Zealand hi for me and eat a magnum for me will ya? :)

Chris said...

Must be such a relief that things are not as they seemed! Have a great trip and here's to continual hearing improvement.

Crystal said...

great news

Jay and Emily said...

I am so happy she is able to hear sounds again!!! I can just imagine how heart breaking it would be to think it didn't work. I'm so happy things are working for her and you guys.

The Hague's said...

This is wonderful! Jeff and I were so worried about you guys last night. I know how hard of a journey this has been for you guys. And what a stressing decision it was to go the CI route. I was so heartbroken because I have seen how much Charlotte loves listen and speak. I can't wait to see all the wonderful things she is doing when you guys get back! Have a great vacation!!!!

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh Jess I just can't imagine how hard yesterday must have been for you guys. I thought of calling you all day, but stopped myself but you were in my constant thoughts. You are so amazing, I hope only the best for Charlotte. I am so glad it seems to be working, and I will continue praying for her that she will just keep on improving, what a sweetheart she is. Have a wonderful vacation, you guys deserve it!

Mrs. Jones said...

I am so happy for you guys! Thanks for the updates! Please keep the updates coming and I hope to see you guys when school starts back up! Miss you!

Mrs. Morty said...

I'm so glad things are looking up!! I hope everything continues to improve. Having faith in the face of trials is always hard, I think you are doing great :)

Jenn said...

Oh Jess, our prayers are with you. I can't imagine what you're feeling but I know our Heavenly Father does. Best wishes and have a safe travel/fun trip to New Zealand!

Lisa Broadbent said...

I am so happy that the implant seems to be working, even if it is not as optimally as you had hoped.

I have been very hard of hearing since my 20s, but in the last month I have lost a lot more of my hearing, such that hearing aides are no longer helping. I understand completely the frustration that Charlotte is feeling and what you are facing as a parents.

Hang in there. You are doing a great job with her! God has a purpose for all of this to be happening to your family. Your Father in Heaven is very mindful of you and will unfold to you His plan in His own time.

Sometimes we are given trials like this so that we can see His hand in all things, that we can acknowledge and appreciate all the more the small blessings that are sometimes overlooked or taken for granted in better circumstances.

Hope things keep looking up for you.

kat said...

You are simply amazing. I am so glad that there is hope and encouaragement for things to continue to progress. I have thought so much about you the past few days and I just want to thank you for your faith and example. Have sooo much fun in NZ. You ALL deserve it.