Tuesday, June 2, 2009

4 more days...

Well, it's down to just days/hours til Charlotte's Cochlear Implant surgery. This Friday, June 5th is the day. We are 100% behind this. We felt so strong about the decision in the temple and feel it's the Lord's will. I'm human though. I still feel like crying when I think about the "what ifs" but then I think back to that night a week or so ago and remember the strong feeling of "it's right". I don't like that Charlotte will be under for 2 1/2 hours. I think right now the whole surgery part is what is weighing on my mind. Anesthesia, facial nerve paralysis, blood, bruising, SHAVED HAIR! : ( But also the unknown for Charlotte. I don't know how to explain to her (in sign or words) that she won't be hearing with her aids anymore. There won't be sound for 3 weeks. But I anticipate the day she's "turned on". It's going to be good and she'll amaze us with all her progress. Keep us in your prayers. Keep Charlotte in your prayers. She's been through more than what a normal adult has gone through.

Oh, should I mention the most likely that we'll be moving somewhere in the valley within the next 6 months or so? yep. They are making the busy street we live East of into a 5 lane HIGHWAY. Starting Spring of 2010. Most likely they will be tearing the houses along the street on OUR side of the road. So that means we'll be the 1st house on the corner. Too dangerous for kids, too noisey, etc. Utter disappointment to me. We had plans of living here for a LONG LONG time. We had all these dreams of projects to do in this house. But now we'll just finish the ones we're in the middle of and call it good. Makes me want to cry. I just LOVE our ward, neighborhood, HOUSE. My most favorite part of the house is that beautiful staircase my dad and Wade worked on and built together. It's gorgeous and no other house will look the same way. It just breaks my heart we have to move!!! But I have to think of my children. Man, I don't want to move (I'm stomping my feet on the ground!)!!! Ahhhhh. Can you tell this is a tough thing for me??!!! I can't stop thinking about it.

16 comments:

Chris said...

We will be thinking of you. Did you decide to go with a doctor in town, or are you working with "Let Them Hear"?

Here's a child-in-surgery tip. As soon as they take her back, go down to the cafeteria and get something to eat, no matter what time of day it is. Sit there and eat it for a while. Then head back to the waiting room. We pretty much always do this even for relatively short procedures and it burns up a lot of time waiting around and worrying.

Best of luck, our prayers are with you.

Jessica said...

Thanks Chris. Dr. Shelton at University hospital will do it. He's an excellent surgeon (they tell us he's in the top 5 of the nation). I'm sure you've heard of him. It will be done at Primary's though. What is "Let Them Hear?"...I'll look it up. You are awesome. We hope all is going well with Cicily too. She sure is a dang cute and adorable kid! I would love to meet her. I think Charlotte and Cicily would just love each other!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with Charlotte's surgery and the upcoming move. You'll all be in my prayers!

The Hague's said...

I agree with Chris go to the cafeteria and get something to eat. That is what we did and it made it seem so much faster. Charlotte is going to amazing!

Crystal said...

wow not long to go - i am sure everything will go well.

Stink about the house!?!

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh is that what you and Shalane were talking about yesterday I only caught the last bit about looking for a new house. That's too bad but I agree I would not want to live on such a busy street with kids, maybe it will be fun house hunting!

Charlotte will be just fine though I don't blame you a bit for being nervous, I was too when Luke got his tubes in his ears and that was nothing! I will be thinking of you on Friday and saying lots of prayers for Charlotte.

Melodie said...

You've got a lot of things happening this summer. I hope everything goes well. We'll be thinking of you guys on Friday. Our prayers are with you!

Wendi said...

I can't believe our ward is getting wiped off the map. That is so crazy that they are just going to bull doze people's houses. Not just anyone, but our friends in Logan 12th ward. I feel bad for you guys even though your house isn't getting plowed down, but the whole highway right next door.

I hope Charlotte really really benefits from her new ears. Hopefully it will be a great investment for her. she is one resilient soul. We will be praying for the sweet girl and her parents.

Jay and Emily said...

We will be thinking and praying for you guys. Keep all of us posted. I feel so bad about your house. I hope you find a house you love just as much.

The Chandler Family said...

we will be praying for you guys, Charlotte will do great, she's a trooper!

Mrs. Morty said...

I've been thinking of your little Charlotte and hope that everything goes well with her surgery. Sorry to hear you have to move too, that is no fun. Lot of hugs and prayers for your family.

Unknown said...

Sometimes it takes more courage to watch a loved one go through a medical procedure than it takes to have a medical procedure done on you. My prayers will be with Charlotte and your family. :)

Devin & Nikki Choules said...

Charlotte will do amazing with the implant! You are all in our prayers!

Elizabeth said...

You are in my prayers as you begin this exciting hearing journey with your beautiful daughter.

Great blog! I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com). We'd love to have you as part of our community!

Grannie said...

I'm happy she did so well in surgery. I know you will post everything though so everyone knows how it went so well.

That's too bad about having to move... but Wade and dad can do another handrail if you need one!!
I was shocked to read about the road development that will happen next year.

Jen said...

I'm sorry I missed these posts til now, but you know of course you all were and still continue to be in our prayers! We love you all!!! I'm so happy to know that things went so well with the surgery! It is a miracle indeed!

The whole moving thing stinks! I'm SO sorry you have to look into another house. You guys have done some really great things to that house!

BTW- If you're up for it, I just wanted to remind you that Summerfest is the 13th. The BBQ here and evening parade following by fireworks!! YAY!