Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Charlotte

Charlotte handing out the Valentines for her Valentine's party.



Charlotte's hearing test on Friday was more positive. She gained another 20 db on her audiogram but is still 20 db from speech level. Yesterday's audiogram was a bit disappointing. The lower frequencies or lower sounds she heard on friday, she couldn't hear them yesterday. The higher frequencies she heard on friday were about the same yesterday too. But there wasn't improvement. She's still on steroids but we are starting to wean her off of them so it doesn't look too promising from here. The next step if she doesn't regain all of her hearing back is to look at a cochlear implant. The surgeon here in Utah is willing to do it because of the circumstances we are in. He is one of THE top 5 in the nation. So she would be in good hands. but there still is a bunch of things in question...her inner ear has abnormalities. Finding the actual nerve (which has been proven that it does exist) will be hard. There's a chance they might implant the wrong one which will cause facial paralysis. But we haven't talked with the surgeon about the precautions he would take in making sure he didn't hit it. The other questions are, will the implant work? Is her nerve to weak? If it fails, then she's lost all the hearing she has now. It's quite a risk. But, she won't be able to learn speech at this point anymore (unless a miracle happened and she got all of her hearing back)anyway. But do we risk the little hearing she has now? She just loves to listen to things...even if it's just a little of what she has left. It's a scary road in front of us. Breaks my heart. But Charlotte is handling it well. She's being a bit more clingy than usual. The second I leave the room, she comes running after me and stays by me. Fair enough, things are changing for her and she needs to feel comfort.

13 comments:

Jay and Emily said...

You amaze me Jessica. You have such a good perspective on life. I have a friend who was born hard of hearing, and then got in an accident, hit her head, and then went completely deaf. She has a CI, and so does her sister. I know she would more than love talking to you if you have any questions for her. I told her about Charlotte's situation and she said to send her love to your family.

Crystal said...

hey jess - big decisions alright. I am sure you will look at all the options and make the right decision. Great to know you have the services of such a good surgeon available though. Lots of love, crystal and sam

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh Jess I wish I knew what to say, Charlotte will continue to be in my daily prayers, she is such a special girl with amazing parents. I can't imagine how hard this is for you guys right now, but every day I see you you have a smile and remain so optimistic, you amaze me. You and Wade will make the right decision as time goes on and you know more what you are dealing with, Charlotte was blessed with you guys as parents.

I am so sorry today didn't work out, Luke has therapy on Thursday morning with Jen Kite, but would afternoon work for you maybe? If not don't worry about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm keeping you all in my prayers, and I've put your names on the prayer roll.

Jen said...

Jess, you truly amaze me with what a wonderful mother you are. Charlotte is blessed beyond measure to have you and Wade. I know you are all blessed more than words can say to have her as well. I know with all of my heart that you and Wade will make the best decision for Charlotte. I can't imagine having to make such a decision, but judging by the decisions you've made to this point, I am confident that with the direction of our Heavenly Father, you will make a decision that will be the best for your sweet daughter. You all continue to be in our prayers. Love you guys!

Grannie said...

Give Charlotte a big hug and kiss from grandma. You are in our prayers. I know you and Wade have some tough decisions ahead, but I have no doubt that you will make the right ones for Charlotte.
Hang in there. Love, mom

baby sis. said...

Hey this is Angela. I am Emily's friend and she told me about Charlotte. I have a cochlear implant. Charlotte's case sounds similar to mine. In fact, when I was 11 I was hit on the head with a hose and lost all my hearing but miraculously it came back after two weeks. But, in 2004 I hit my head on the loft cabin ceiling. I lost all my hearing again. I thought it would come back. Unfortunately, it didn't. I waited 8 months and took sign language classes then decided on a CI. It's very different from a hearing aid but I definitely love to hear than nothing at all. If you want to ask question feel free to email me at angelatboyd@yahoo.com. Things will get better for you all.

Angela Trimble

Kendra said...

Hang in there...tough decissions, but they are made easier with the help of the Lord. Trust Him and you will not fail! We are still praying for Charlotte! Keep us informed.

Mrs. Morty said...

I am horrible at making big decisions I would hate to have to make this one... Prayers for your whole family as you decide what is best :)

Jenn said...

Oh Jess, you are in my prayers. What a difficult thing to go through. We will surely be thinking about you and your beautiful family.

Melodie said...

Thoughts are prayers are with you!

Lady Di said...

Charlotte has been in the Lords' hands all along. He gave her two wonderful parents who love her no matter what. Whatever happens, you guys have a beautiful little girl who will love you no matter what! We love you and we're praying for you all.

The Petersen's said...

If, after meeting with the surgeon today, you'd like to stay the night at our house, you are more than welcome. We love you guys. I hear the kids praying for Charlotte - we are all thinking of you.