Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Truly a miracle.

I'm writing a lot of thoughts down for a journal entry. You can read everything if you want but I just wanted to write things down before I forget.

We went to the tow yard today to get some last things out of our Explorer. The car was officially labeled ‘totaled’ by our insurance company. It was surreal looking at the damage, and realizing how it could have turned out if we didn’t hit the truck where we did. The first impact was between the rear left corner of the semi and the left drivers side, right at the point where the door is hinged to the car (one of the strongest points on the frame of the vehicle). The impact crumpled the dashboard and of course left the door unable to open...leaving Wade stuck. If we had hit a few inches further down the door (the weakest point on the car) it would have caved in on Wade. He feels very lucky.

I know that the damage on the car doesn't look like much. But we had hit the semi while it was going forward at a fast speed. In addition, the impact was on the strongest point of the frame. But I think it's still pretty scary looking. Thank goodness all we had to deal with was some bruises and soreness. Wade hit his head and he didn't hurt after that. I seemed to be the only one that was really sore.

We were just north of Ogden and we hit the snow storm. The roads were pretty clear and it was just cloudy when we started out in SLC. But we got into a storm. We slowed down of course but kept going. I remember Wade saying that we should have stopped and stayed the night at Jean and George's but we were so far north that we decided to keep going. Then we saw an electronic road sign that said icy conditions, use caution. And literally...not a second later, we started losing control. Wade kept trying to get control of the car. He has had pretty good practice because they had to take a snow driving class on his mission (Canada Calgary mission) and all the practice in Canada and in Logan, etc. - he knew what he had to do. I trusted Wade that he was going to gain control and we'd just have a close call type of thing. Well, I remember seeing the corner of the truck coming right towards us. I felt in my heart that Wade was going to be hit directly. It seriously was heading straight towards him. I actually thought he was going to...well...die. I screamed out "WADE I LOVE YOU!!!!!". That's all I could do. I seriously thought it was going to be the last time I ever could tell him. Crazy thinking when you are almost about to hit a semi-truck. But when we were hit and he was okay, I couldn't believe it. The second hit was so loud because of the glass breaking. We then ended up perpendicular on the road. Wade had to back up out of the freeway so we wouldn't get hit again. Once we were off the road, I had to comfort Jack and Charlotte. Charlotte was okay when we started Curious George back up on the DVD player. Jack was really hard to comfort. And then I lost it. I was uncontrollably sobbing. Wade kept telling me that it was okay-that everyone was okay. I knew we were but my emotions...I just couldn't stop them. About 5 min. after we had the accident someone finally stopped over. They asked if they could call 9-11 for us or the cops. They were so kind. Wade found his phone on the floor of the car and ended up calling and at the same time I called my parents. We sat on the side of the road for a long time. About an hour. Jack was needing to be fed and comforted, Charlotte was still okay. I got Jack and held him in the front seat but after a few minutes Wade wanted him back in his carseat fearing that another car could hit us and Jack wouldn't be safe. So I put him back. Jack did not like that. Poor guy. It was hard waiting for the police to come. We thought the Wal-mart truck just kept driving but he actually stopped about a mile north. It was icy out and I'm sure it was really hard for him to stop. I felt bad that he had to deal with this. I wish I could tell him I'm sorry but we don't even know who he is. We didn't even meet him. Anyway, about 45 min. later another caring family stopped by to see if we were okay. They told about a really bad accident a few miles behind us which was why it was taking so long for them to get to us. And another car came about 5 min. after that to check on us. Eventually the police came and helped us out. My parents kept in contact with us the whole time and my Aunt Jean and Uncle George were ready to leave in a second to come get us. They were so wonderful to do that. The only reason why we decided not to was because we wanted to get home and we didn't want to risk them going through the canyon just to take us home. We kept trying to call people we knew...especially with 4 wheel drives. But no one was home because of Valentine's Day. Finally, we got a hold of our neighbors, Angie and Kevin Stott. Kevin is on the bishopric with Wade. We are so grateful to them and for them willing to come and get us without hesitating.

I think of the what ifs...we were following a caravan of cars and semi's for a long time. It's amazing to think that there wasn't any when we hit the semi. If there were...things would have been worse. And if we didn't hit the semi...we would have most definitely rolled. It was truly a miracle that we hit the semi. And it's an even bigger miracle that somehow the truck which was in direct line to hit Wade ended up hitting the strongest point of the car. Heavenly Father has blessed us and I'm so grateful.




Notice the crack in the dash?










Thank goodness the windshield or door window didn't shatter onto Wade. He would have been really cut. But he did end up finding glass in his mouth and in his shoes! Weird.
After we had settled, things were strewn about. We found the headlight nob (which is located on the left of the steering wheel) inside a treat bag on the console. We thought that was crazy. We started picking up stuff around us. We needed to get all the things we could take with us. Unfortunately, we could only find one of Charlotte's hearing aids. She had removed them a little bit before the accident because she couldn't hear out of them so she thought they were broken and gave them to us. So we had them on the console. Well, after the accident we looked EVERYWHERE for the right aid. We couldn't find it. Even after we got out of the car, Wade and I swept through the car to try and find and we just couldn't. I was devestated. Charlotte needed it because we didn't know when she would start hearing and didn't want her to go without it for a long time. We got home and brought in everything. I kept praying that we would find it and I kept thinking, where is it? It had to be in the car. But then I got to thinking about the knob in the treat bag! If that thing could somehow get in that bag then the hearing aid might be in some weird place. Then I got to thinking what was in front of my feet? I checked out the feeding pump bag...nothing...then I remembered the pharmacy bag with Charlotte's steroids. I looked in and saw a hershey kiss (from valentine's we were going to deliver) and then there was the hearing aid! I was SHOCKED. It just reassured me that Heavenly Father is going to help Charlotte get her hearing back. What a miracle.

11 comments:

Grannie said...

Wow... you certainly were being watched over. It could have been so much worse. I am so thankful you are all o.k. (except for some soreness)....

Jen said...

Oh my goodness Jessica. This story had me in tears. You guys are so blessed and we love you! I'm so grateful to all the miracles that occurred that night and that Heavenly Father kept you guys safe. When you said the part about how you screamed to Wade that you loved him, I was so impressed and it also made me cry. To know you are such a strong person and to keep your cool enough to say that rather than screaming and/or cursing or something like that, you said the most heart felt thing a person could say. What a Valentine's gift to your husband! I'm so glad you found Charlotte's other hearing aide! YAY! You continue to be in our prayers. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry the post is so long! But, had to write it for my journal so I never forget.

Crystal said...

Jessica, you don't know me too well because our dear friend Jen is keeping you all to herself. But I had to come leave you a comment about this whole ordeal.

As soon as Jen told me about Charlotte, I took my two little ones and we knelt down and offered a prayer that she would get her hearing back and that the Lord would watch over and protect your family.

As I saw the car pictures you posted I realize how truly God was with you that night. I can almost see where your Guardian Angels stood to protect the weakest parts of the car so the only. Place left to hit was right on the tough safer part. Thank Heaven for answered prayers!

And also, I must say how impressed I am that when you saw the semi coming you yelled out "I love you!" Now THAT is a loving wife. Even though I love my hubby very much it would have been more like "aaahhhh watch out!" Or "nononononono" (that's what I said during our last car accident) so in my humble opinion, wife of the year goes to you!!

Our Prayers are still with Charlotte. I think finding her aid is a very good juju for things to come.

Much Love,
(If your a friend of a Tippets, your a friend of mine)

Crystal

Kendra said...

Wow! That is definately a miracle...a whole bunch of little miracles that sure make a big one! We are still praying for Charlotte. We hope everything is going ok with her!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm so glad that you're all okay after that! And I'm glad that you found the hearing aid. You're all in my prayers, and I'm praying that Charlotte will get her hearing back quickly!

Dionne said...

There were angels protecting you that night! I'm glad you all are ok. . . and that you found the hearing aid -- another tender mercy. Heavenly Father does KNOW us.

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh wow, it just gives me goosebumps Jess, you must have been so scared, and I absolutely love that you told Wade you loved him, that just makes me want to cry, it's so sweet. I don't know if I ever told you when I was pregnant with Lance I fell asleep while driving home late at night, I went through oncoming traffic, two fences and finally a huge tree in a person's backyard that stopped me. I remember for weeks after I would imagine other alternatives of what I could have hit, or different routes that would have most assuredly harmed Lance. Even though it's horrible and scary it amazes me that our father in heaven is guiding and watching even our worst moments, I have no doubt he guided your car that night. Truly it is a miracle...

Unknown said...

Jess: WoW! I am so happy to hear that you all came out of that incident relatively unscathed. It sounds like a true miracle!

deliverygirlnz said...

Hi, so glad you are all ok- I think you should come back and live in Hamilton cos I can promise you there would be NO snow storms!!

Makes you realise what you have when this happens yes?

Was also relieved to hear that some of Charlottes hearing is coming back too. Graeme my husband is profoundly deaf in 1 ear, so he really felt for her, knowing how important it is.

Take care,
Denise

The Petersen's said...

We have a Toyota Sequoia with 4 wheel drive. You can always call us.