Thursday, November 19, 2009


Yesterday we had an I.E.P. for Charlotte with her school, Sound Beginnings. She now goes from 8:30am-3pm, Monday-Friday. And she LOVES it. Every night she asks if we're going to school and I tell her she needs to go to sleep and when she wakes up, we will go to school. ha ha. It's so funny.
Anyway, Charlotte's teachers are incredible. They are doing a fantastic job and we are so happy with Charlotte's progress. We made awesome goals and know Charlotte will surpass them in no time. At first we were a bit concerned and a bit down because Charlotte was tested and the results came that her language and communication (overall) was about 2 years old, 1 month. When you have a four year old it's hard to realize she's at the level of a 2 year old. But once we inquired about what this all meant, the teachers were telling us that this is incredible. What? How can that be? Well, just think about it. Charlotte was implanted June 5th. She didn't start recognizing sounds until mid-July. So really, that's four months of hearing. It's like Charlotte started from scratch four months ago and is already at 2 years old in her language! That's fast and incredible once it's understood in those terms. So, go Charlotte! She seriously has been doing amazing. In the last week or so, she's been copying 3 or 4 word sentences. I.e. I'll tell her to open the fridge and I'll just hear her repeat it. Yesterday, I told her to say, "see you tomorrow" to her teacher's and she said "see ya morrow". We're always in shock when we hear something correct out of Charlotte because we're just not used to it.

11 comments:

Melodie said...

Oh my gosh, Charlotte is awesome. What a smarty!! I can't believe how quickly she's learning. Can't wait to see you guys soon!

Crystal said...

your day will be so different with charlotte at school all day! great to hear about her progress.

Jen said...

That just makes me SO happy! My heart is melting!

Eric and Jenny said...

What wonderful news about Charlotte, it just amazes me how much of an impact it makes on my day when Luke does good in class or not so good. I don't even know how to descibe it but I am sure you know what I mean. To hear positive results just about makes my whole week. I am so happy for Charlotte and for you and Wade. One of these days I need to chat with you about the adjustment from toddler group to every day I am so worried about it for Luke this coming January. I need advice from you...

The Warwicks said...

That's awesome. So cool to think that when we saw her in July she wasn't talking and now when we see her in December she will be! Can't wait. Teach her to say "Aunty Lian is my favourite Aunty" :-)

Jay and Emily said...

Go Charlotte! That is awesome! She has made so much progress in just 4 short months! I am excited to see how much mroe she will improve!

Wendi said...

I second that Charlotte is amazing! That is awesome how much she is saying. She wasn't even walking when we left. I can't believe we have missed so much.

Unknown said...

Exciting news! Things just keep going better and better...great! Oh, and by the way I love your Christmas music. Usually I have the sound off when I check blogs, so I had no idea this was on here!

Grannie said...

That's fantastic!! I am so happy for her progress and know she will keep progressing... She has great teachers, but she also has great parents who believe in her and have h elped her so much!!

kat said...

Way to go Charlotte!! That is so awesome and amazing. She truly has progressed leaps and bounds since we moved. When we were moving she was still using that sweet walker. And now look at her. So AWESOME!! I think it helps to have such AMAZING parents!YOU GO GIRL!!

Jenn said...

Jess! So great to hear from you! Sorry I have been kinda out of the loop lately and somehow missed the news about you being pregnant! Congratulations! I know you will do great. And what awesome news about Charlotte! I loved the clip of her line in the primary program, so cute :)