Sunday, May 1, 2011

Kate's Birthday Cake

Kate's birthday happened to fall on Easter this year! Crazy how that happened. I made her cake and did Easter "things" til 3:30am that morning. The night before wasn't too bad...just up til 1:30am. I made everything on the cake and I'm calling it a disaster:

Let's just say it was late, I messed up the 2nd batch of white fondant (I was too tired to drive to walmart to get more marshmallows. Plus it was sunday and I didn't want to buy anything on sunday. Even though it was 2am at the time) and it snowballed from there. I don't like the white fondant on top but that's all I had enough of. If you cross your eyes and look at the cake...looks okay, right? Okay. That's all. Keep your critiques to yourself! It definitely was an off cake day. I was going to make a decorative cupcake under the #1 but I just ran out of time. And was sooo tired. I wanted little polka dots on the one too. I wanted the theme to be polka dots and cupcakes (you know, cupkate...). The thought's there, right?!




I decided to make a chocolate cake for both layers. Chocolate, raspberry filling, ganache and then the other filling was chocolate buttercream. And between those two fillings: brownies. Yep cake AND brownies. Strange you might say? Of course. But here's where I got the idea: go to Salt Cake City Blog and look at all the FLAVORS you can do!!!! So I went for a crazy tasting cake!! You could taste the brownie but it definitely wasn't overpowering. In fact, unless you knew I put it in there, I don't think you would've noticed. :)

9 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

What are you talking about, I think it looks great!

Your worst cake would beat my best cake by about 1000 times. I love the cute polkadots and the colors, really cute Jess!

Crystal said...

that's a cake from an off day? Its perfect! I love the theme. Its so cute. Wow!

Crystal said...

i can't imagine why you would say this cake didn't work - it looks great, don't put yourself down!

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

DUDE!! You are crazy... or my eyes must not be seeing what you are seeing... this cake is GORGEOUS!!! :) I love the colors and I'm sure Kate thought it was da bomb, baby. :)

I missed seeing you today at church :(

Jenn said...

Wow, what an amazing cake! I just make cupcakes, throw some coolwhip on top with sprinkles and stick the candle in. *sigh*. Will you come to Hawaii and make cakes for me, Jess??

Kendra said...

WOW! All I have to say is that I wish that I was eating a piece of that cake! Mmmmm.

Jay and Emily said...

That is an adorable cake Jessica!

bontovi said...

happy birthday kate!!! great job momma!!!

wish you were closer so i can order a cake for tehia!!! bisous!

Wendi said...

So cute! Now we need the video of her taking it all in!