Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas is at our house...is it at yours?

Any favorite traditions? Share!!!

We love to have our Christmas Eve Party with all yummy party foods to eat! Then we open up one present (pjs) and get dressed up in them. I told Wade this year it would be fun to open up a new Christmas DVD and watch it that night too! Of course, leave out the cookies and milk and carrot and put our stockings out. I CAN'T WAIT!!! The kids are LOVING it. Charlotte keeps counting how many sleeps til Santa comes! This is the best part of Christmas!!! OF course, we'll take our turns opening presents the next day. Have a yummy breakfast, listen to Christmas music, have a yummy dinner! Maybe this year, we'll finally have the patience to sit through a movie at the theater! ha ha ha ha. I loved that tradition growing up.

And I said we should do something for Christmas Adam (Dec 23rd) and he's like let's eat Chinese food! That was a good idea. Now he just wants to celebrate festivus (same day).

Some day, my dream is to have a posh, family Christmas party that night (on the 23rd). We dress in our Christmas dress best, sing Christmas hymns or special Christmas music (not about Santa, etc), put on a beautiful Christmas concert on our grand piano, the kids will have learned their music pieces on the piano, violin, cello, etc. And we'll have beautiful treats and drink egg nog and hot cocoa and bubbly and be an intimate affair and of course invite some friends because they need to enjoy the music too.

6 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

I just did a whole post on traditions today, great minds think alike!

I love your idea of a fancy Christmas party on the 23rd, that would be the greatest a kickoff to the holiday. I may have to have that as a dream as well.

Good to see you yesterday and we will see you again on Friday!

Crystal said...

I was thinking about wade the other day and festivus came to mind ha ha. I take it all your kids are going to have music lessons - I want our kids to aswell, I was thinking guitar or piano, Sam says the drums!

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

I love your pictures! I love Christmas! I love food! YAY

I think it would be so awesome to do a fancy party someday... I'm in. I'll even host it if you guys come. If you and Wade come, I know it will be great :)

Jay and Emily said...

Your Christmas sounds a lot like ours! Jay's family started doing Christmas on the 23rd so that we can all celebrate together. We have party foods, do the gifts, and then go bowling. It's pretty fun! I bet your kids can't wait for Christmas!!! This is such a fun time of year for kids and adults! :)

Jen said...

I love all the cute pictures! I'm SO behind on my blog *sigh*. I feel a new years resolution coming up for me! haha! I can't wait until you have the fancy Christmas party one day. It will be da bomb.com Until then, your parties rock the house, so just know that!

Traditions? Hmmm, we have many and some of them are changing now that I have children of my own. I don't wanna write a novel though. We do let the kids open a present on Christmas Eve (plus everything the extended family brings for our party). That present is PJ's. I never had this tradition growing up (we opened EVERYTHING under the tree Christmas Eve (my dad's German heritage coming into play there) and then Santa came the next day and put our presents on a chair all unwrapped). Ya, we were spoiled.

Anywho, we also love to go look at all the light displays (Holdman family Christmas, Zoo Lights, Spanish Fork Festival of Lights, Salem floating trees, etc etc).

We also let the kids decorate the tree. One day I'll have fancy tree in a formal living room, but for now, I just love how much fun the kids have with decorating! I also love that we have the tradition of letting the kids pick out an ornament every year. Makes for a special tree. Gary and I have ornaments on the tree from our childhood as well.

A new tradition Gary came up with this year and I love it is this: Santa comes Christmas morning. Christmas night, Mom and Dad announce that Santa has hidden 1 more present some where in the house for each kid and they need to go find it. The kids LOVED this and it extended the magic of Christmas morning excitement through the evening :)

Okay, I said I wasn't gonna write a novel and I did and I didn't even tip the iceberg with all I could say. I guess that's why I have a blog huh? Better get at it... someday!

Grannie said...

Jessica, I love the new collage in your header... cute pictures!!