Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Wade's an American!





Citizenship day was November 10, 2010! Congratulations to Wade! I'm so sorry this is a late post but I'm doing it now so that's all that matters, right???

It's been about 3 months of waiting after sending in the hefty bill and papers but he had 3 appointments before this day. He's been wanting to do this for several reasons:
1. He doesn't lose NZ citizenship. So he's a dual citizen. He wouldn't have done it if he had to give that up. (PS, Charlotte's a dual citizen and when we can, we'll do the same for the rest of the kids!)
2. Traveling abroad is so much easier. There's no worry of keeping track of travel documents, tickets, etc. And the chance of losing the green card...WOAH. That would be a nightmare.
3. Deportation. Although this would have most likely would've never happened, you never know!
4. I'm sure there's more, but these are the biggest reasons.

And guess what!? Wade didn't marry me just for citizenship! HA HA HA. Had to throw that in there.

It was such a good day. Thankfully, the sickness/pneumonia/pink eye all happened less than 48 hours of this so we're so blessed it didn't happen earlier.


Wade had to check in early but they let all friends and family come at that time too. Technically they weren't going to let us in until a 1/2 hour later to the auditorium but thankfully didn't have to wait in the lobby for long. We sat on the balcony and Wade sat below in the main auditorium. We watched patriotic images on the screen before it started too. It was a great atmosphere. He sat next to a South African, Iraqi and Somalian.


My wonderful friends, the Tippets, came up to it too. We weren't going to have anyone there with us, except the Midgleys but a family illness came up, so I randomly told Jen about it that morning. And luck would have it and Gary was off of work! If they didn't come, I would have died. Not literally. It was hard taking care of all three kiddos with their help so I'm so grateful they came.

When it started, they first had girl scout/cub scout kids bring out the flag. We said the Pledge of Allegiance. What was funny, the girl holding the flag's pants fell down! It was so funny because she just kept going! I swear if I had a video, I would've sent it into AFV. And I would've won 10,000 bucks for sure. Then a woman sang the national anthem. And said the last line wrong too. Wade couldn't believe it! It didn't don on me that it was the wrong words until he retold me what she said. So funny too. And then she sang another patriotic song. Woo hoo.

Had a nice patriotic talk.



Then they did the oath!


They brought the microphone around to any of the 125 new Americans if they wanted to say anything and Wade did! I wish I could've heard him. The kids were screaming in my ear. But it was awesome. He speaks so eloquently.
Oh I forgot! They played "Cause I'm proud to be an American" well whatever the title of the song is. And everyone sang it. Kind made me laugh but it was cool at the same time because they were really feeling the patriotism!

Then that was it. They handed out --in quite the fastest, orderly hander outers ever-- citizen papers!

We went down to visit the Midgleys in the hospital and went out to dinner. GoodWood Barbecue. LOVE LOVE LOVE that place. Quite American like in food so that was perfect. It was simple. And I wanted to do more for him but by the time we got back it was too late and when I wanted to throw a little American party that weekend, we were full blown into pneumonia, pink eye and Kate's sickness. It was crazy! But it was an awesome patriotic day. We'll never forget it.

7 comments:

Nicki said...

I have always wanted to eat at goodwood, just because the name is awesome! I am so glad that he did not marry you for citizen. That was funny. That poor little girl that lost her pants. Could she walk with her pants around her feet? he he

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh Jess that is so neat.

I watched my brother in law become a US citizen, it was wonderful gave me such goosebumps. I love your family picture, you all look wonderful. That is so funny about the poor girls pants, how horrifying, that would be my worst nightmare.

I keep hearing about that Goodwood place but have never been, I will have to try it.

Eric and Jenny said...

Oh one more thing I love the sound of Wade's voice, every time I hear it I think I bet Jess melts every time he talks, love the accent!

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

Seriously, this is SO awesome!! I just love you guys to pieces. I feel so blessed to know you. I love that the little girls pants fell down and she KEPT going... now that is patriotic! :) cute, I wish I could have been there... yay for America! I'm so glad you're all feeling better now.

Crystal said...

at least wade's pants didn't fall down. That's good life will be a bit easier when you travel (hopefully to nz). Me and lian are wondering though - if wade took out mexican citizenship, would he be a Mexican? ha ha

Grannie said...

Congratulations!! sorry we were not there, Wade!

Jen said...

And I'm proud to be an American!! Hooray for Wade!! We're so happy we were able to be there to witness this! It was way cool!