Saturday, October 31, 2009

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Well, some of you don't know what has happened to us! Here's the background: When Charlotte hit her head on the tile after falling down the stairs thus resulting in two awful black eyes, we decided to get rid of the tile. Now the tile isn't just a few at the bottom. It's a whole room full of tile. Pain in the bum. Waste of space and just a waste of money. So annoying. So Wade had to chip out 200+ tiles and then the mortar underneath had to go. The chipping didn't work very well so we rented a concrete surface grinder. We made sure all the windows were open (we've got some big windows) and a huge fan blowing. Wade also put plastic at the bottom of the stairs to prevent the dust, etc. from going upstairs. The surface grinder isn't electric it has a motor like a lawn mower. Gas powered. I was worried about CO poisoning but we were thinking with the windows, etc. it would be okay. Sound ridiculous when you explain it! The job took Wade 5 hours to do. He started after Jack went to bed and took a few breaks to get a break and some better air. I went to bed feeling a bit ill but didn't think anything of it. I could smell some light fumes but thought I'd be fine. Wade came to bed at 1am and couldn't fall asleep. And then he said he had this huge headache. During the night he was violently throwing up and finally he woke me up at 5am telling me he thinks he has CO poisoning. He researched the symptoms on the internet during the night. And I was like GO to the ER. And he's like no, it's money. And I couldn't seem to convince him. So I said next time you are throwing up you are going and he agreed. 5 minutes later he's like, I'm going. I was happy. I had woken up with a headache too but I didn't think anything of it too. So Wade went and told me every once in awhile what was going on. They kept testing his blood but couldn't get results due to blood clotting so about 30 min. after he got admitted his blood had 16% carbon monoxide. Normal is between 0-2%. So they made me and the kids get out of the house. So I went to some good friends, the Susmans, and hung out there. After the kids were settled, I wanted to see Wade so I went to the hospital. He was on oxygen and lying on the bed. Usually it's me or the kids in the hospital but it was different seeing Wade as the patient. The dr. came in and asked how I was. I just said I had a headache and he's like that's a major sign of CO poisoning and it was up to me to be tested. I didn't want to be cause it was too expensive, etc. but they found out I was pregnant and I didn't have a choice after that. They just said come in this next room. And then I was hooked up on oxygen. They checked the baby's heartbeat to see if he/she was okay and everything was fine! I was tested at 7% so I didn't have it as bad as Wade. They told us the kids need to be tested. So finally after Wade being on oxygen for 5 hours he was able to go home. It was a mandatory 4 hours on the oxygen so I had a couple more hours to go. SO BORING! But the kids came in and were tested in the normal range. So they were totally fine. Which is a relief but I'm not looking forward to this huge bill coming. We decided to take it easy because it really wore us out to have CO poisoning. We had slight headaches the whole day and the next day we were just exhausted but had energy to celebrate Charlotte's birthday!!! I'm glad I didn't follow through with a friend birthday party for Charlotte cause I would have had to cancel it cause it would have been on that saturday! ha ha. But yeah, there's the story. It's kinda long but we are fine and good now. Oh and the floor looks fantastic! We get the carpet Tuesday so hopefully everything, minus the poisoning, will be worth it! :D

2 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

Jess that is so scary I am so glad you are all okay and good thinking to get to the ER so quickly. You have had some rotten luck lately between that and poor Charlotte's fall....

Jen said...

I still can't believe that happened! I'm so grateful you all are okay and can't wait to see the beautiful carpet!