Saturday, August 15, 2009

Wedding Cake

Saw this cute detail on my cousin Amy's cake. Using corsage pins to hold the ribbon in place. Maybe this is a standard thing to do but I thought it was so cool! : )

I don't have very many good pictures of this cake and I hope I can get a "real" wedding photo of this cake but here it is. It was a real challenge because the other wedding cakes I've done have been covered in fondant and they always look so crisp and clean but the bride wanted buttercream so I did my best. It was so hard but I did it. The other challenge is that I've only worked in round (or oval) cakes before too so getting sharp corners was hard but here's the end product. The middle layer is at an angle on purpose. I think that also was hard in a way because I couldn't center the top layer properly so the cake looked good on one side! ha ha.

7 comments:

Jen said...

It's PERFECT!!! Way to go Jess!! I hope they got some pictures with the flowers on it, etc. I can't wait to see!

Eric and Jenny said...

It looks great Jess, I am so impressed!

Charles and Carrie said...

The cake looks great! I didn't know you decorated cakes. We changed our blog address - just remove the Jones and you'll find us again!

Wendi said...

Wowzers! Buttercream sounds ridiculously hard to make like that. I thought it was fondant from the far away picture.

Rebecca said...

You talented girl! You -- dah bomb.com!

The Chandler Family said...

great job Jess! I didn't you were making wedding cakes, very impressive!

kat said...

The cake looks AMAZING!! I wish I still lived close so you could teach me your tricks! Way to go!!